Title – Construction Inspector
Location – Manassas, VA
RDA is a Virginia-Certified Small Business (DSBSD Certification #652784), and a leading provider of professional civil engineering services to both the public and private sector. We are looking to hire qualified construction inspectors to perform inspection services for transportation projects in Northern Virginia. VDOT Materials certifications and previous Transportation Construction Inspection experience is required. DEQ inspection certifications are preferred.
Joining the RDA family will allow you to work alongside some of the area’s brightest and most talented professionals. Here at RDA we pride ourselves on our strong values, our commitment and ability to build lasting relationships with our clients and our commitment to service. We always strive to see each project to successful completion. RDA supports employee goals and allows individuals to grow and take their career to the next level.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee, inspect, and monitor contractual field work which includes earthwork, drainage, structures, pavement and incidental construction
- Schedules work and inspection phases with contractor’s superintendent and agency personnel
- Advises contractor of deficiencies and recommends adjustments to operations
- Takes field measurements of pay items
- Checks placement of and performs tests on construction materials; checks lines, grades, dimensions, and elevations using standard survey and field engineering equipment
- Oversees and enforces the installation of E&S controls and safety devices
- Assures that contractors are in compliance regarding Maintenance of Traffic and complying with the Traffic Management Plan.
- Recommends changes to construction plans to meet field conditions or provide project cost savings
- Maintains project records which include daily diaries, materials notebooks, as-built plans, and pay quantity records; evaluates and monitors progress schedules, prepares work orders, and monthly estimates
- Monitors Equal Employment Opportunity/Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) documentation and compliance with Federal labor requirements/regulations for Federal-aid construction projects, ensuring contractor compliance with program requirements
- Certified Engineering Technician degree is required
- Minimum of 3 years of VDOT inspection experience including a working knowledge of roadway, structure, and bridge construction methods, materials, standards, construction symbols and terminology; state and federal environmental, safety, and Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and regulations
- Working skill in operating computer equipment, software programs and field inspection equipment
- Ability to read and interpret roadway, structure and bridge plans and specifications
- Ability to apply mathematical formulas and engineering principles to determine minor adjustments to construction plans
- Ability to perform required materials testing
- Soil and Aggregate Field Compaction
- Asphalt Field
- Hydraulic Cement Concrete Field (ACI Concrete Field Tech Grade I)
- Pavement Marking
- Flagger Certification
- Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) Certification for Erosion and Sediment Control Inspection; DEQ preferred
- Nuclear Gauge Safety Training
- VDOT of MARTCP Guardrail, Surface Treatment
- VDOT Intermediate Work Zone Safety Training
- OSHA 10 Hour Construction
**Must have an active US driver’s license, be physically able to perform moderately strenuous tasks such as walking, climbing and lifting, able to work in inclement weather, be available to work the night shift or a varied work schedule.
**Must successfully pass drug-screening procedures prior to being hired; thereafter subject to random and cause drug and alcohol testing.
Fill out the form below and attach your resume and a cover letter. RDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants that require an employment visa sponsorship now or in the future will not be considered.