I-95 at Temple Avenue
Colonial Heights, Virginia
The I-95 at Temple Avenue Interchange Improvements Design-Build Project is located in the City of Colonial Heights, Virginia, and involved the construction of a roundabout as part of an interchange reconstruction at Interstate 95 (I-95) and VA Route 144 (Temple Avenue). The project encompassed widening VA Route 144, realignment of I-95 ramps, realignment of Ridge Road, and removal of the existing VA Route 144 bridges over the abandoned CSX railroad.
RDA served as the Lead Designer in providing professional engineering services while Allan Myers served as the Design-Builder/Lead Contractor on this Design-Build project for the Virginia Department of Transportation. This $13M D-B project reconstructed the I-95/Route 144 interchange to enhance public safety and operations in the project area. RDA redesigned the reconstructed interchange with a lower profile along Route 144 to best accommodate and accelerate the schedule, cost, and ultimate delivery of the project.
The Allan Myers/RDA Team assisted VDOT in bringing consensus to the political stakeholders representing the State and City by providing coordination meetings throughout the project. This resulted in alleviated concerns over the delivery of our Team’s delivery of Colonial Height’s first roundabout.
· Developing and completing the roundabout design
· Acquiring the necessary environmental permits
· Acquiring rights of way
· Coordinating and performing, or causing to be performed, required utility relocations, additions, and adjustments, including VDOT owned ITS utilities.
· Roadway construction
· Milling and overlaying and/or building up of existing pavement
· Bridge demolition
· Retaining walls/reinforced slopes
· Signs, sign structures, and foundations
· Traffic signal modifications and temporary traffic signals
· Overhead signs structures and other traffic control measures
· Traffic maintenance and management during all phases of construction
· Pavement markers and markings
Hydraulic & Hydrologic Analysis
Right of Way Acquisition
Signage & Marking Plans
Stormdrain & SWM
Utility Relocation & Coordination
2017 ASHE National Project of the Year – Under $20 Million Category
2018 DBIA Mid-Atlantic Honorable Mention